Glen Rose Heating Contractor shares tips for improving home energy efficiency
Glen Rose Heating Contractor, Glenn-Aire, shares tips for improving home energy efficiency.
Cooler weather brings higher energy costs, but this doesn’t mean you have to pay an arm and a leg for home heating. There are many things you can do to help curb the increase in home energy costs this winter. Listed below are some of our suggestions.
Money Saving Home Heating Tips:
- Edit thermostat settings – You may save up to 3% for every degree in which you reduce your thermostat setting. Find a decreased temperature setting that still allows you to remain comfortable. Also, prevent your thermostat from being placed next to a cool outside wall or near a heat-producing area in order to ensure it is giving as accurate a reading as possible. Finally, turn your thermostat down as much as possible if you do not plan on being at home for an extended period of time.
- Repair older windows – Aged windows have a tendency to allow for unwanted drafts. Make sure the window shuts tightly and the frame is in good condition. Sash and frame rotting is a good indicator that it is time for the window to be replaced. An alternative option is to install sash locks or to install weatherstripping around the window in order to prevent drafts.
- Close draperies around larger windows – Closing window drapes will create a barrier to prevent excess heat loss during the winter.
- Ensure the fireplace damper is closed when not in use – An open damper can cause heated air to be removed through updrafts.
- Change the heating system filter – Dirty filters will force your heating system to work harder and less efficiently. New filters can be purchased at most local home improvement stores.
In conclusion, there are many things you can do to help reduce your home heating costs this winter. One thing we strongly recommend considering is investing in a home heating system tuneup. Such tuneups will help prolong the life of your system and ensure it is running at its absolute best. If this interests you, then contact us for more details.
Glen Rose Heating Contractor, Glenn-Aire, was established in 1975 as a sole proprietorship by Glenn D. Cornelius and is located in Granbury, Hood County, Texas. The business has operated uninterrupted under the same name since originally formed. In March of 2005, after 30 years, Glenn decided to retire and turned over the helm to Jeff McKenzie.